In this new series each week we will share some important events in sports history. First up February 7 to 14th.
- 2021 Tom Brady wins his 7th NFL Championship and 5th Super Bowl MVP when the Tampa Bay Bucs defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 31 to 9.
- 1936 In the first ever NFL Draft, Jay Berwanger from the University of Chicago was the first pick by the Philadelphia Eagles.
- 1963 The AFL’s Dallas Texans become Kansas City Chiefs.
- 1986 Spud Webb of the Atlanta Hawks wins NBA Slam Dunk Competition at 5’7″
- 1987 The West beats East, 154-149 (OT) in the 37th NBA All-Star Game in Seattle, WA. Tom Chambers of the Seattle Super Sonics wins MVP and eventually becomes the first NBA player to gain a guaranteed contract.
- 1996 The NFL & Cleveland allows Art Modell to move his NFL franchise to Baltimore but he had to leave the Browns’ name behind.
- 1980 Rick Barry, of the Houston Rockets is the 1st person in the NBA to score 8 3-pointers in a game.
- 1989 The WWF admits pro wrestling is an exhibition & not a sport, in a New Jersey court to gain deregulation.
- 1990 James “Buster” Douglas Knocks out Mike Tyson in a huge 10th round upset to win the Heavy Weight Championship in boxing.
Catch new episodes of our podcast every Tuesday and Friday.