In this new series each week we will share some important events in sports history. First up February 15th to 21st.
- 1932 Eddie Eagan becomes the only Olympian to win gold medals at both the summer and winter games in different sports as a member of the gold medal winning US 4 -man bobsleigh team.
- 1936 Great Britain’s 0-0 tie with the US is enough to clinch their first ever Olympic ice hockey gold medal at the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Winter Games
- 1951 Bill Bradley, future US Senator, scores 51 points for the Princeton Tiger’s Basketball team.
- 1991 Troy State sets NCAA Division II record with 103 points in 2nd half routing DeVry Institute 187-117
- 1996 Bill Belichick is fired by the Cleveland Browns.
- 1998 Dale Earnhardt wins the 40th Daytona 500 ending a 59 winless streak.
- 1972 Laker’s great, Wilt Chamberlain, becomes the first NBA player to reach the 30,000career points mark in a loss to the Phoenix Suns
- 1985 New Jersey Devils score their fastest hat trick in 42 seconds
- 1992 LA Lakers retire Magic Johnson’s number 32
- 1999 O.J. Simpson sells his 1968 Heisman Trophy for $230,000 to help settle a $33.5 million civil judgement against him for the death of his ex-wife
- 1924 Johnny Weissmuller swims the 100 meter freestyle in 57.4 seconds to set the world record in Miami, Florida
- 1951 Detroit’s Redwing Gordie Howe scores his 100th career NHL goal against the Montreal Canadiens
- 1968 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Springfield, Massachusetts opens
- 1936 NHL record 32 points scored, New York Americans & Montreal Maroons
- 1951 3 City College of NY basketball players admit to accepting bribes
- 1986 San Antonio guard Alvin Robertson scores NBA’s 2nd quadruple double-20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists & 10 steals in 120-114 win over Phoenix Suns
- 1952 Emmett Ashford becomes the 1st black umpire in organized baseball
- 1963 Willie Mays signs a record $100,000 contract per year with the San Francisco Giants
- 1993 The Florida Marlins open their 1st spring training camp
Catch new episodes of our podcast every Tuesday and Friday.